Monday, October 29, 2012

The TRUTH about Flavor Monsters

Hey Y'all,
I attended Comic Con and 4 days just isn't enough to cover all of my interests. One of my stops was to the Flavor Monster installation. I love games especially the ones that carry such an important message.
The TRUTH campaign has been around since 2000. It is the largest national smoking prevention campaign for youth but I believe it reaches far beyond.



The new campaign has a game called Flavor Monsters which is available on select iOS and android devices. Sabertooth Interactive developed the game.The concept is based on 45 candy-flavored cigarettes (monsters) which you must kill in order to save humanity.
Upon entering the site my nostrils were filled with with delicious fruit smells, I walked over to where the scents were coming from only to find Colorful jars filled with ugly monster parts (let's just say I no longer wanted to eat what I was smelling).



Next, I was lead over to the special video virtual simulation which made you part of the game. A TRUTH assistant guides you into different directions and physical motions to get you through game (it was great, I really enjoyed it!)
http://flavormonsters.videobooth.tv/?vbsessionid=030020021690089800-00009973152677002
Monitors were set up for you to play the new game, collectible vinyl toys were on display, people took pictures with a life-size FM and free gear was provided.

Some TRUTH facts:
-Among 18-22 year olds, almost 39.9% of those not enrolled full time in college were current smokers, compared to 24.8% of those enrolled in college full time. This pattern held for both males and females.
http://www.samhsa.gov/data/nsduh/2k10nsduh/2k10results.htm
-Young smokers are at an increased risk for early onset cardiovascular disease.
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/sgr/1994/index.htm
I stand by this campaign and support all the creative ways they get the message across.

No comments:

Post a Comment