Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Columbus is in my living room!

Hey Y'all,
I was extremely excited to see Christopher Columbus Statue up close and personal. The collaboration between Tatzu Nishi, Public Art Fund and NYC Parks Department helped make this possible.
An Italian artist named Gaetano Russo created the Statue in 1892 to celebrate the 400 year anniversary of the famous voyage that discovered the Americas (I know everyone must have an opinion on this particular discovery, but I will be focusing this blog on the installation only). The Statue sits above 75 feet, making the view of Central Park and the surrounding areas breathtaking.
Tatzu Nishi is an amazing artist. This is his first installation in the U.S. The great thing about his installations is you get an up close look at monuments you wouldn't otherwise be able to. He builds around these landmarks and transforms them from an exterior site-seeing spot to interior private living room area.
I love history and being so close to something that has been around since before I was born is mind boggling. This is my first experience with a Tatzu installation and I enjoyed it. The only thing that I would have preferred is having windows behind the Columbus statue so that when you photographed it you can see the park and city view in the photo.
I would love to see an installation of the statue of Loire located in the Palace of Versailles (I can picture him laying there on a huge bed!
What You Need to Know:
-Please go to the Public Art Fund site and reserve your free tickets in advance. Some say that you can obtain tickets there but I know for a fact they have been sold out.
-There are different dates and time slots to choose from.
-Print your confirmation before going, if not you must go to the Information center located on the 3rd floor of  the Time Warner Center.
-Arrive 20-30 minutes before your scheduled time, the time slots are estimated.
-You will have approximately 20-30 minutes once you have arrived at the top (there are 6 flights of stairs to climb). I suggest you carry light.
-Don't forget to take pictures of the view outside. Take advantage of all your surroundings. This installation won't always be there, but the statue will. This installation goes until November 18, 2012.

Looking North 

North East 

Broadway

Broadway-Central Park West 

Christopher Columbus Statue



East

Detail

I like this Horse 

Do you see the little Horse competing with Columbus?



Trolleys were around when this statue came up

Check out the wallpaper

He is facing South 



Facing East 




It's things like this that make me love my City!


Photography by Margarita Acevedo





No comments:

Post a Comment