Friday, December 16, 2011

A Petite Pint

Hey Y’all,
I am in my thirties and have never donated blood. I’ve always wanted to but the thought of needles was never appealing to me. I am a petite woman and wasn't sure if I can donate.
Despite me being nervous I focused on all the good I would be doing. I made my appointment and was on my way. 

                                                
If you're thinking about donating here’s a break down of what will take place:
      -If you have never donated before, you will be given a sticker that states so, that way the nurses can keep a closer eye on how you will react to the procedure. 
      -You will fill out a registration form (It is important that you answer honestly).
      -They will give you a finger test to analyze your hemoglobin content.
      -You are then directed to a bed and are prepped for donation. Your arm will be placed on an armrest, where you will squeeze and release a small object in your hand.
      -They will then insert a needle into your arm of course. ( I believe I donated a pint of blood)
      -Afterwards an assistant will help you to the recover area where you will snack on some goodies and drink juices or water.
      -If you are feeling fine you are then good to go. 

                                                 
                                    
I felt great donating, especially when I found out not many people can donate. If you are on certain medications, have low iron, weigh less than 110 lbs. you cannot donate. And of course illnesses prevent many from being able to donate. So, please consider donating if you are able to.  
For more information check out this link http://nybloodcenter.org/index.jsp 
                                            I felt good enough to strike a pose! LOL :)
                                           

2 comments:

  1. donating blood is such a great thing to do, and it's easy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave blood once and it was sooo fulfilling! you go girl!

    ReplyDelete