Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Anti-Gravity Yoga at OM Factory NYC

Hey Y'all,
Everyone knows yoga is a popular form of exercise. There are many types of yoga, my favorite by far is the Anti-Gravity Yoga created by Christopher Harrison.

It's similar to gymnastics and acrobatics. I take this class at the OM Factory (www.omfactorynyc.com). The room contains hammocks that are hung from the ceiling. Before the class begins the instructor goes around the room, adjusting your hammock according to your height. This is necessary in order to perform your poses accurately and safely. For the most part you are suspended in the air and upside down for the class.

I have a few injuries on my feet, and put my body through a lot of exercise, giving it a good beating. This class helps me alleviate the tension and stress on my feet, while strengthening and increasing my joint mobility.

The first time I took the class I freaked out while I was upside down; it's not every day that your blood is rushing to your head. You must stay calm and continue to take deep breaths, allowing your body to adjust. Another concern is "If I'm upside down, how can I see what the instructor is doing?" I will tell you right now, the instructors are amazing! They verbally tell you everything you need to know, assist you in poses, and are very attentive. You almost never have to observe the poses they do, just by listening you will know exactly what you have to do.


There were a few poses where I looked like a deer caught in head lights and thought "There's no way my body will do that!" But then they come over to you and speak to you, giving you the extra support and you do it. After the class ends I'm always hyped, thinking "I'm a badass, did you see that? Of course I saw it, that's because I did it" :).

The most important things to remember are:
-Always breathe into your movements.
-Pay close attention to what your instructor is saying.
-Trust your body mentally and physically.
-and most importantly, Have fun with it!

Oye!(Listen!) Like with everything else make sure you check with your doctors before performing any activites.


5 comments:

  1. I GOT NEXT! lol....look like fun I'm going to sign up

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was ill. I like the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like the looks of this better than Bikram Yoga ! But how do they fasten those hammocks to the ceiling ? hmmm... (Nova)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks like so much fun...I want second haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its fun...visit our site for yoga training http://zerogravitygym.com/
    Zero Gravity Gyms are unequivocally evolutionary for a new paradigm of movement, fitness, pleasure and fun.

    ReplyDelete