Monday, June 3, 2013

Plié Your Way to Fitness

Hey  Y'all,
I took Ballet Bungee at Chaise 23 in the Flatiron district. Ballet Bungee (BB) was created by co-founder Rachel Piskin. Chaise 23 and Physicalmind Studio is owned by Rachel's mother, Lauren Piskin. Both women come from athletic backgrounds; Lauren was a competitive ice skater and Rachel was dancer at New York City Ballet. BB is exactly what it sounds like: ballet movements conducted while using bungee straps.
The second you walk through the door you are greeted and welcomed with open arms. I don't think I have ever felt more at home on a first time visit. The space has large windows and mirrors that reflect the sunlight everywhere, which I love. The changing area is cute and has everything you could possibly need to freshen up or use to put your hair up if you forgot to bring your hair clips. My class was taught by instructor Seiji Gammage who was great; he explained certain terms he would be using and guided us through the whole class. The class is 45 minutes but it felt like an hour and a half to me.





Because you're using the bungee straps for balance and resistance in combination with ballet movements, your moves must be controlled at all times. I took a ballet class once so I had an idea of what movements we were going to do but I had no idea what this workout was going to do to me. I was sweating up a storm, which is how I know how hard my body is working. BB kicked my butt (literally). Those pliés and turned out leg lifts were fierce. After your class is done you are pulled into a different room, where you put a mat down for some core exercises and stretches using the straps again. It's great way to end the class.
Ballet dancers have great bodies and if you're looking for one this is the place to get it.
For those of you not daring enough, Chaise 23 offers Reinvention Method classes, which is an intense cardio workout using a fitness chair. I'm taking this class next.


No comments:

Post a Comment